How to use SMD Spatula Shape + Examples
There are 3 types of SMD Rework Tips: Quad, Tunnel and Spatula.
The spatula type is capable of heating multiple pins or lead wires at once and is used for rework of SMDs, mainly for thermo-compression of Printed Wiring Boards (P.W.B.) and soldering shield cases or connectors.
How to remove connectors
- Apply flux to the leads
- Place the spatula tip against the joints, warming it up
- Allow the solder to melt, releasing the connector
- Remove the connector using tweezers etc
Cleaning after removal of BGA
- Apply flux
- Place the spatula tip on the P.W.B on an angle
- Move the tip slowly across and lift up quickly when done
Tips for removing connectors
Selecting Spatula Tip Size
Select the head not by the number of pins but by the package size [length x width x height] including legs.
Applying sufficient solder to the tip ends makes removing the component easier.